POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular mapping : Re: Specular mapping Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular mapping
From: Jakob Tendel
Date: 18 Apr 2001 07:13:30
Message: <3ADD7773.494BE3A8@student.met.fu-berlin.de>
The specific instance, where this problem cropped up was: I wanted to create
a shiny metal sphere with pitted rusty areas scattered over the surface. I
used a layered texture for the shiny metal and rust respectively, but the
raytrace used only the finish values of the uppermost layer. So either I had
a dull metal or shiny rust, both of which was unsatisfying. If one could
control reflectivity with a grey image, one could overlay a corresponding
image-map and hopefully achieve much better results.